Cyclists and Pedestrians Experience Personal Injuries
More Often in Traffic Crashes.
Serious personal injury accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians are on the rise. There are more than 42,000 bicycles on the road through bike-share programs, and more people are choosing bikes to commute than motor vehicles. But cities like New York and Philadelphia need to catch up. In other words, cities need to rethink their arrangement when it comes to accommodating cyclists.
Getting the Facts About Bicycle Accidents
See below for recent bicycle accident statistics:
• 840 cyclists sustained fatal injuries in traffic collisions
• Average age of a bicycle accident fatality victim is 45 years’ old
• About 50% of cyclists were not wearing a helmet at the time of a fatal accident
• More than 70% of deadly bicycle accidents occurred on roadways (as opposed to in intersections)
• Distracted driving led to almost 10% of all fatal bike accidents in 2015;
• Bicycle fatalities occur nearly evenly during daylight hours and after dark; and
Alcohol played a role in about 37% of all deadly bicycle accidents
CALL TODAY 516.252.1728